This is possibly the easiest to make appetizer that still makes a big impression. I prepped the bruschetta topping well ahead of time to let the flavors mingle and marinate the tomatoes in the seasonings but this can easily made just before eating. A fresh app like this requires the best ingredients to really shine so go all out at the market. I recommend looking for nice heirloom tomatoes because they tend to have firm flesh and bright colours to add some pop to the presentation.
- (I left out the exact proportions to allow you to adjust for your own tastes)
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Garlic
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Olive oil infused with garlic
- Infuse whole garlic cloves into olive oil on low heat until the garlic browns. You can make a large batch and store for later as garlic flavored olive oil is always useful.
- Slice tomatoes and squeeze out and discard the seeds. Dice and add to mixing bowl.
- Dice garlic into very small pieces and add to mixing bowl.
- Gather bunch of fresh basil and slice into thin strips and add to mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with garlic infused olive oil until lightly covered and mix all ingredients together. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes to improve flavors.
- Brush olive oil onto baguette slices and add a few pieces of garlic. Toast until lightly browned.
- To serve, either serve bruschetta mix separate or top and serve immediately as it will quickly soak into the bread and leave it soggy.